IDENTITY: Who Are You Really?
Warm-up: What is your favorite holiday? Why?
Since the Fourth of July was just a few days ago, we’ll use that as an example… Many of us spent our day either at the beach, BBQing, lighting off fireworks, watching office chair races, etc. If you’re anything like me, you may have found yourself so caught up in the activities and food that you forgot about the purpose and significance of the holiday itself…the independence of the United States! (‘MERICA!) The same thing can happen with God and us. We can begin to focus on the byproducts of God instead of God himself.
Do you remember when you accepted Christ into your life for the first time? Share about that moment/season of your life: What were you feeling, experiencing, etc.
If you have been a follower of Christ for any amount of time, you know that along the way we begin to make faith about: Bible translations, theological arguments, worship style, who’s right, who’s wrong, and a plethora of other things. We lose the childlike wonder we once had, and maybe even lose faith altogether.
Have you lost the awe and wonder you once had for the Lord, maybe now or at another point in your life? If so, what do you think contributed to this?
Read John 1:10-13
- What stands out to you most in these four verses?
- Why do you think God identifies us as his children? Why is this so important?
When we misplace our identity in anything or anyone besides our trusted, loving Heavenly Father, it causes us to live in a state of worry, fear, and anxiety. Have you walked through this personally? If so, share about your experience.
Read Romans 8:14-17
What observations can you make about God’s character in this passage?
Everything changes when we root our identity in being a son and daughter of the father of love!
Three key things that change:
1) Confidence - Romans 8:14
- You are now led by the spirit of God.
- The love of God becomes the authority of your life.
- There’s no fear of failure because he’s already won any and every battle that can be won.
- You can trust him with every detail of your life (big and small).
- You can risk and adventure with God, knowing He will provide for you.
- You were once filled with fear, but you are now filled with faith!
2) Closeness - Romans 8:15-16
- You’ve been adopted, your father chose you.
- You now have the same closeness that Jesus shares with God, we can call him “Abba, Father”, just like Jesus did.
- We don’t have to worry if we are saved, we know who we are and whose we are.
3) Inheritance - Romans 8:17
- Our old life and “debts” are completely canceled out, we become literal children of God
- Everything Jesus gets, WE get!
- Eternal life now and forever!
Living it Out:
- Are you taking full advantage of these three gifts that God is offering his children (you and me)? (confidence, closeness, and inheritance)
- If not, which one do you need to fully “receive” for your life?
- Take 5 minutes and write down what you imagine would change in your life this week if you chose childlike faith over fear, worry, and anxiety.